San Diego Comic-Con, or Comic-Con International as it is now referred to, began Thursday with their first press day. Thursday usually only sees a small amount of news come forth, but here’s what happened so far:
- Will Gina Carano be Avengelyne? – Former MMA fighter and current action star Gina Carano (Haywire, Fast and Furious 6) is at Comic-Con International this week along with comic creator Rob Liefeld (Young Blood, X-Force), and the pair are spreading hype about attaching Carano to star in a film adaptation of Liefeld’s 20-year-old comic Avengelyne. The story follows a fallen angel, Avengelyne, who hunts and fights demons on Earth while preparing for another war of good vs. evil. No writer or director has been attached to the project as of yet, but there will be more as the film develops.
- Godzilla Poster debuts – Legendary’s reboot of the Japanese Kaiju series will be in theaters next year, but yesterday, in San Diego, a new poster was revealed teasing the monster’s design. Those that remember the 1998 attempt at an American version of Godzilla will also remember the major backlash that came from creature’s redesign, closer in line with a T-Rex and a Iguana than the former Toho hellraiser. Thankfully, this poster can give some insight that the tail and back ridges hint at a monster more like the original Japanese design. Check it out below.
- Predator coming to 3D Blu-ray – It was announced a few days before the event that 20th Century Fox would have big news concerning the Predator franchise at Comic-Con this year. Many took this to be hints at a sequel to the Robert Rodriguez-produced Predators, a Schwarzenegger-starring sequel or possibly a franchise reboot entirely. Well, the announcement has finally been made and as it turns out, no sequel is currently in the works. Instead, Fox plans to release a 3D Blu-ray version of the original Schwarzenegger movie, with special edition packaging and remastered special effects. No release date was given but pre-orders are available through FOX.
- Amazing Spider-Man 2 teases panel – The world at large has seen a lot of news, set-videos, and images for the second Amazing Spider-Man movie, but yesterday the first ever official footage was released. The trailer teases the Spider-Man panel that will be at Comic-Con this year with a look at the device and process that turns Jamie Foxx into the villain Electro.
- First Look at X-Men: Days of Futures Past – Comic-Con is always a sight to see with all the promotional pieces set around the floor for movies, shows, games, and more. With the next X-Men film being released next year, a Days Of Future Past booth has been set on the floor showing off propaganda posters and the first look at a head of the Sentinel robots that will be hunting everyone’s favorite mutants. It was also confirmed that Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage will be playing the notorious Bolivar Trask character from the Marvel comic and that The Intouchables breakout star Omar Sy will play the long-awaited time-traveler Bishop.
That’s it for Day One at Comic-Con. Look for more news to come in the following days as the convention gets into the swing of things here at DiaboliqueMagazine.com!
– By Matthew Delhauer
Matt Delhauer is a graduate of Ramapo College of New Jersey, with a degree in communications and digital filmmaking. As an avid fan of horror films since childhood, Matt has had years of exposure to the best, worst, and many in between. Outside of film Matt also holds knowledge in several fields of media and entertainment, from literature to television, which are all met with an eye for analysis and a love of entertainment. For more of Matt’s work take a look at his blog at www.gingergeekblogs.blogspot.com or follow him on twitter: @MattDelhauer